Monday, July 28, 2008

The Inspiration

My name is Amal Hassan and I am part of the Alternative Winter Break-International Planning Committee. I wanted to start this blog so we can share our experience in planning this service project with you. It is been an honor for me being on board for this project and I look forward to see it come to life.
The seeds for this project were planted in March by Zehra Imam, a student of the University of Michigan -Dearborn. She participated in Alternative Spring Break-Detroit as I did too. It was hosted in Detroit for the first time by United Way of Southeastern Michigan. through this experience , my whole understanding of life was changed. When Zehra brought the idea of an alternative winter break project, I was thrilled and very inspired by the idea. Adam Harris was the man who started Alternative Spring Break Detroit when no one expected that it will ever happen. He was inspired and worked hard for his dream which made Zehra believe in her dream as well.
Zehra Wanted to take Alternative Break into the next step, to go international. She wanted to do so much more after ASB-Detroit. When we first brought the idea up, everyone was doubtful .But, through people's doubts and fears, we gained power to go ahead. In the next few months, the committee and I will do our best to give our thoughts and explain to you our steps into this journey to India. We look forward for your feedback and your comments.


With much gratitude,

Amal Hassan
Alternative Winter Break International

No comments: